Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Ted Cruz: ‘Voters chose another path’

Then there was one were two.

After sustaining a crippling loss in Indiana, former presidential candidate Ted Cruz announced that he was suspending his campaign:

Cruz said although he was ending his campaign, he was not “suspending [his] fight for liberty”:

From the beginning I’ve said that I would continue on as long as there was a viable path to victory. Tonight, I’m sorry to say, it appears that path has been foreclosed. Together, we left it all on the field in Indiana. We gave it everything we’ve got. But the voters chose another path. And so, with a heavy heart but with boundless optimism for the long-term future of our nation, we are suspending our campaign. But hear me now: I am not suspending our fight for liberty.

Cruz did not announce support for Donald Trump—who has all but clinched the Republican nomination after winning Indiana’s primaries—nor for John Kasich, the only other candidate still in the GOP race.

[RELATED: Leadership communicators, join our new LinkedIn group and get FREE tips and strategies on executive communications.]

Cruz’s vague messaging could mean that he is still hoping to block Trump from receiving the delegates he must have to secure the nomination.

CNBC further explained:

Cruz and Ohio Gov. John Kasich were seeking to keep Trump from reaching 1,237 delegates, which would allow them to force a convention fight. That in turn could possibly mean someone other than Trump coming out of as the GOP’s general election candidate.

But that result appeared less likely after Trump’s strong Indiana showing.

“Obviously Trump’s victory in Indiana makes the road ahead more challenging,” a representative from the #NeverTrump PAC said in a Tuesday evening statement, adding that the group will continue to seek to oppose him.

Though Kasich vowed he would remain in the race, he trails far behind Trump, currently holding 153 delegates to Trump’s 1,047.

Trump gave gracious remarks toward his former competitor during his victory speech on Tuesday night:

I’ve competed all my life. All my life I’ve been in competitions, different competitions… and I have to tell you that I have met some of the most incredible competitors right here in the Republican party.

Ted Cruz, I don’t know if he likes me or doesn’t like me. But he is one hell of a competitor. He is a tough, smart, guy. And he has got an amazing future. I want to congratulate Ted. I know how tough it is. It’s tough. I understand how Ted feels and Heidi, and their whole beautiful family. I want to just say though, one tough competitor.

However, the remarks stood in contrast to messages about Cruz that he tweeted roughly an hour before the primaries’ results were announced:

Twitter users react with snark

Cruz has not tweeted since prior to the results of Tuesday night’s primaries, but many Twitter users ridiculed the Texas senator with derisive tweets and memes. Several users continued to mock Cruz’s PR gambit of announcing former candidate Carly Fiorina as his would-be vice president should Cruz win the Republican nomination:

Twitter users also made fun of an unfortunate moment that followed Cruz’s remarks, when he accidentally elbowed his wife in the face:

(Image via)



from Ragan.com http://ift.tt/1SYxhGZ via web video marketing
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/1UyTf5V

No comments:

Post a Comment